This actual car was displayed on the Bentley Motors stand at the 1951 Earls Court Motor Show held from 17th to 27th October and marked the introduction of the new 4½ litre version of the Mark VI, Bentley’s first post war model.
After the show it was sold to George Ellison Ltd of Birmingham, a manufacturer of electric switchgear, founded in 1898. Like so many glamorous cars, it was not destined for Hollywood or the French Riviera but an industrialist in the Midlands. It finally got its time in the sun when it arrived in Sydney in the mid-1980s and for a number of years formed part of the John Laws collection.
Luxuries such as the power operated hood, a push button radio and sliding bucket front seats were rare in the early fifties, although the price alone would have ensured its exclusivity.
Number built: 57
Price new: £6,309-5-7 incl tax
Price now: $199,777.00 excl ORC